Be the new
Research Scientist, 2-year position
in a biotech company focused on the discovery, design and development of innovative peptide-based medicines
Zealand Pharma A/S (Zealand) is a Copenhagen-based biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of peptide-based medicines. More than 10 drug candidates invented by Zealand have advanced into clinical development, of which two have reached the market and three candidates are in late-stage development. We are passionate about improving the quality of life for patients with metabolic and gastrointestinal diseases, and other specialty or rare disease areas with significant unmet medical needs. Zealand was founded in 1998 in Copenhagen, Denmark, and has presence the U.S. as well.
We are looking for a Research Scientist in the Department of Molecular Pharmacology to drive our efforts in recombinant protein production, in vitro characterization, and development of related biochemical assays. The position is limited to two years with an opportunity for extension or permanent employment.
Molecular Pharmacology is responsible for generating in vitro and biomarker data for our research and development projects. We use a range of molecular biology methodologies, including phage display, to support the identification of potential drug candidates and employ a range of biochemical and cell-based assays to optimize and guide the development of our molecules towards the clinic. The department consists of 7 scientists and 6 technicians. In the position, you will have responsibilities both in the department for driving our protein expression platform, and in research projects teams for identifying and optimizing drug candidates. Many of the task for the research scientist will be in the lab.
The successful candidate will have most or all of the below listed qualifications:
- Setup new protocols and methods in the lab, independently and with other members of the department
- Design and generate expression constructs by cloning and/or gene synthesis
- Optimize recombinant small scale protein production (insect and mammalian cells), purification protocols
- Validate recombinant protein quality for phage display and assays
- Test new peptide drug candidates in in-house in vitro assays or at CROs and interpret data
- Work with the department scientists and technicians to deliver data to our research and development projects
- Create, support, and evaluate new project ideas and support cross-departmental project teams
What we offer
Our employees are fundamental to our success, and we continue being able to attract and retain people with vast experience and talent. We have a unique culture, characterized by excellent teamwork and strong engagement across the organization.
Zealand DNA builds on four values: (1) We are bold, (2) We empower people, (3) We work as one team, and (4) We can be trusted.
Our work environment is characterized by strong cross functional team-work, room for individual performance and development, informality and respect, high work-ethics and engagement, and fun.
At Zealand, we understand the value of a diverse workforce. As an employee, you will be part of an innovative, cross-disciplinary and cross-cultural working environment.
We offer a combined compensation package which includes a base salary, pension, bonus, and an attractive employee share program. We care about our employees’ well-being and offer health insurance, use of massage, fitness, and a range of social clubs and activities. To find out more about working at Zealand, visit www.zealandpharma.com.
Please apply as soon as possible, but no later than April 15th, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
For further information, please contact Head of Department Jacob Fog at JFog@zealandpharma.com.
About Zealand Pharma A/S
Zealand Pharma A/S (Nasdaq Copenhagen: ZEAL) ("Zealand") is a biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of innovative peptide-based medicines. More than 10 drug candidates invented by Zealand have advanced into clinical development, of which two have reached the market. Zealand’s current pipeline of internal product candidates focus on specialty gastrointestinal and metabolic diseases. Additionally, the portfolio includes clinical license collaboration with Boehringer Ingelheim and pre-clinical license collaboration with Alexion Pharmaceuticals. Zealand is based in Copenhagen (Søborg), Denmark. For further information about the Company's business and activities, please visit www.zealandpharma.com or follow Zealand on LinkedIn or Twitter @ZealandPharma.
- A PhD degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, molecular pharmacology, or a related field or a MSc with at least 3 years of similar experience
- Hands-on experience with small scale protein expression, purification, and characterization for example in biochemical/biophysical assays (surface plasmon resonance or similar)
- Knowledge of modern cloning techniques
- Interest in and flair for hands-on laboratory work
- Positive attitude, drive, and the ability to work independently and as a team player
- Research experience with drug discovery in pharma/biotech, structural determination and/or phage display and/or cell-based assays are desirable, but not a requirement